Three Types of Property Damage You Can Claim After a Car Accident

An auto accident can lead to a long list of damages, including medical injuries and property damages that occur to your vehicle. Property damages extend beyond that of the basic repairs of your vehicle. Understanding the different types of property damage that you can recover may be important to your case.

Recoverable Property Damage Costs Following an Auto Accident

If you are in an auto accident in which someone else is at fault, you may be able to recover the following property damages:

Repair Costs

The most obvious cost of a car accident is the cost of repairing your vehicle. This includes the cost of parts, as well as labor. When determining the cost of repairs, the goal is to return your vehicle to the same condition that it was in before the accident. These costs can also vary, depending on the type of work that’s needed.

Transportation Costs

You may be subject to transportation costs that you incur from not being able to drive your vehicle during repairs. This might include rideshare costs or the cost of a Taxi. It may also include the cost of renting a vehicle so you can commute to work or manage your household childcare responsibilities.

Diminished Value

You may also be able to recover diminished value. This is the difference in the value of your vehicle before and after the auto accident. Even if your vehicle is repaired, the fact that it was in an accident can permanently reduce its overall value.

New Jersey No-Fault Auto Insurance Laws

New Jersey is a no-fault auto insurance state. This means that every driver, regardless of who is at fault for an accident, turns to their own insurance company to cover damages. In other words, it doesn’t matter if you or the other driver caused the accident.

However, it also means that your insurance company may not cover any of your property damages, depending on the type of insurance coverage you have. If you have full coverage that includes collision coverage, then your insurance will likely cover all of your property damages.

Even if you don’t have full coverage, it is possible to receive compensation from the responsible driver. If you were involved in a bad car accident that led to expensive injuries and property damages, you may be able to recover the property damage costs through a third-party personal injury lawsuit.

What is a Third-Party Lawsuit?

A third-party lawsuit is a type of personal injury case that seeks compensation from the responsible driver. Through this type of lawsuit, you may be able to collect all related costs like medical bills, repair costs, and any other property damage costs. This usually requires the assistance of a lawyer.

If you are left to deal with expensive property damages, and your insurance company does not cover all of them, it may be worth it to discuss your case with a New Jersey personal injury lawyer. They can help you build your case, identify the many costs involved, and file it with the right court.

Contact an Atlantic City Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at The Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represent clients injured because of a car accident in Egg Harbor, Atlantic City, Galloway Township, Hamilton, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.