Personal Injury Attorney in Egg Harbor, New Jersey
South Jersey Personal Injury Lawyers Representing People with Head & Brain Injuries in Atlantic City and Galloway
Hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. suffer head injuries every year. In most cases, head or brain injuries are not apparent to others. While they may look the same as always, people with head injuries are often profoundly changed. Many are unable to return to the lives they led prior to the injury.
At the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff, we help people with head injuries that were caused by the negligence of others. Our personal injury law firm pursues financial compensation for the damages, including medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, lost earning capacity, and more. We have helped accident victims and their loved ones get compensation for head injuries sustained in accidents throughout South Jersey, including Atlantic City, Galloway Township, Pleasantville, and Linwood, NJ.
If you or a member of your family suffered a serious brain injury, please contact us online or directly by phone. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and advise you of your legal options. We can also help you get well again by referring you to medical providers who are skilled in treating head or brain injuries.
About Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Traumatic brain injuries are caused by a violent blow or jolt to the head. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- An estimated 1.5 million Americans sustain a TBI each year.
- Approximately 50,000 Americans die every year from brain injury.
- One-third of all injury-related deaths in the U.S. can be attributed to brain injury.
- The most common causes of traumatic brain injury are motor vehicle crashes, slip & falls, and violence.
There are three types of traumatic brain injury:
- Closed head injury: These injuries occur when there is an impact to the head, but the skull is not fractured. Tissue throughout the brain is damaged by violent smashing, twisting, shaking, or stretching.
- Penetrating brain injury: These injuries are caused by objects such as bullets or knives that penetrate the skull and damage brain tissue. While these injuries can cause severe disabilities, the damage is localized. The entire brain is not affected, as it is in a closed head injury.
- Acquired brain injury (ABI): This term distinguishes congenital brain injuries from those acquired after birth. ABIs occur due to trauma or cell death related to swelling, bleeding, disease, or loss of oxygen to the brain (anoxia). Anoxia can be caused by near drowning, electrical shock, or chemical exposure.
Head Injury Symptoms
Head injuries cause a range of cognitive, emotional, sensory, and motor impairment that can profoundly impair an individual’s ability to work or even to relate to others.
- Impaired memory
- Problems with organization
- Sleep Disorders
- Emotional changes
- Word-finding difficulties
The Legal Challenges of Head Injury Cases
Cases involving head injuries can be legally challenging. While some brain injuries heal over time, there is no way of telling whether an individual’s condition will improve. In addition, objective tests, like MRIs or CT scans, often cannot reveal the true extent of damage to the brain. In these cases, insurance companies conclude that the injured person is faking their symptoms.
Personal injury attorney Richard A. Stoloff knows how to document the extent of your injuries in other ways. For example, he may interview family, friends, and others who knew you before and after the injury. These people may describe a person who was once independent but who now cannot find his way home from the grocery store, a person who once had an upbeat personality but who now has an explosive temper.
Call an Experienced Atlantic City, NJ Personal Injury Lawyer About Your Brain Injury Case
After a serious head injury, it is important to speak to an attorney who has specific brain injury case experience and who truly understands how to obtain the full amount of compensation you deserve. The legal team at the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff are experienced, specifically in head and brain injury cases. We know how to help.
To arrange a free initial consultation, please contact us online. Call our Linwood, New Jersey office directly at 609-601-2233. You can also reach our downtown Philadelphia office at 215-988-9800.