The Other Drive Doesn’t Have Car Insurance. Now What?

You’re driving down the road, thinking about the errands you need to check off your list when suddenly, another vehicle rear-ends you. In just a few minutes, your thoughts are now filled with questions about who will cover the damages to your vehicle and whether or not you will need medical care.

Related blog: Reporting Your Accident to Your Insurance Company

The state of New Jersey is a no-fault auto insurance state. This means that regardless of who is at fault for the auto accident, your damages are covered by your insurance company. However, if these damages exceed your policy limit, it may be on the responsible driver to make up any additional damages.

In addition to your auto insurance, drivers in New Jersey are also required to have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, with a minimum of $15,000 single person and $30,000 combined person. This insurance coverage protects you in the event that your damages exceed your allowable amount and the other driver does not have insurance. This same policy will also protect you and your passengers if you are injured or experience property damages from a hit-and-run auto accident claim.

Recoverable Damages in an Auto Accident Claim

Auto accidents can lead to many costs. These are just a few of the most common costs associated with auto accidents:

  • Medical costs
  • Vehicle repairs
  • Rehabilitative costs
  • Lost wages
  • Temporary transportation
  • Temporary childcare
  • Legal fees
  • Pain and suffering

The severity of the accident and the damages will dictate what costs you incur as a result. Severe auto accidents can lead to ongoing medical bills and the inability to work while you recover.

Important Steps to Take Following an Auto Accident

If you are involved in an auto accident, it is important to follow certain steps to ensure that your rights are protected. These steps can also help you uncover an uninsured driver earlier in the process.

  • Call for medical attention: The wellbeing and safety of all drivers involved in the accident is the most important factor. If anyone requires immediate medical care, call 911.
  • File a police report: Filing a police report will document the accident and is an important part of the process for when you file an insurance claim. If the other driver is uninsured, the police officer will document that information.
  • Notify your insurance company: Not only is it a good idea to notify your insurance company that you were in an accident as soon as possible, but to also notify them that the other driver is uninsured.
  • Collect all necessary documentation: Your case might come down to determining fault and placing blame. By collecting documents like the police report and any photographs from the scene of the accident, you can build your case and demonstrate that the other driver is at fault. It can also be helpful to work with an experienced New Jersey lawyer.

If your injuries and damages exceed the compensation available through your insurance policy, then a third-party personal injury lawsuit might be necessary. This claim goes after the responsible driver directly in an attempt to collect the compensation that you need to recover following an auto accident.

Contact a Galloway Township Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Auto Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to an auto accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represent clients injured because of an auto accident in Ventnor City, Atlantic City, Galloway Township, Egg Harbor, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.