What to Do If You Get Hurt on Someone Else’s Property

Accidents can happen anywhere, at any time. Be it for business for personal situations, when someone visits another person’s property. the owner of that property has a responsibility to keep a safe environment. If a visitor is hurt on another person’s property, the property owner may be held liable for any injuries a visitor suffers. Injuries are often caused by slippery walkways, unstable construction, wet floors, and much more.

Common premises liability injury cares are related to incidents such as:

  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Animal attacks
  • Injuries caused by falling objects
  • Staircase accidents

Do the following if injured on someone else’s property:

  • Always seek medical attention first, even if the injuries do not seem severe. Particularly in cases that affect a person’s head or back, such as a slip and fall, the effects of an injury aren’t always immediately apparent. Left untreated, any injury could go on to have severe, life-threatening effects on the body.
  • File a police report detailing exactly what happened. It’s not always possible to do this at the scene, but it should be done as soon as possible. It also helps to get copies of any medical reports if medical personnel are contacted.
  • Be mindful of any witnesses present and if possible, collect their names and contact information. Witnesses can be vital in describing the state of the premises and may notice any factors that contributed to the accident. If there are surveillance cameras on site, request any footage as soon as possible.
  • Keep a file with all documents related to the incident. This includes any medical reports, bills, evidence of lost wages at work and more. You may be eligible for compensation, but it is imperative that a detailed account is kept to backup you claim.
  • Do not make any bargains or arrangements and do not accept fault. Consult

with a lawyer before signing any documents provided to you.

Injuries sustained on another person’s property can be costly and life-changing. It is important to know your rights and fight for your compensation. If you or a loved one has been injured on someone else’s property due to their negligence, contact a skilled personal injury attorney.

Attorney Richard A. Stoloff is a skilled trial lawyer with a reputation for achieving positive results in and out of court. He will pursue maximum compensation in your premises liability claim, even if it means taking your case to court.

To discuss your case, please contact us online or you can call our Linwood, New Jersey, office at 609-957-6810. To reach our downtown Philadelphia office, call 215-988-9800.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.