How to Avoid Slip and Fall Accidents During the Holiday Season
The holiday season offers a lot to look forward to. But in between shopping trips and enjoying the first snowfall of the year, it’s important to know the risks of being in an accident. A slip and fall accident often occurs out of nowhere while someone is enjoying their day. Before they know it, they’re left with a painful injury and expensive medical bills and may not have the ability to return to work, putting a damper on the holiday season.
What Leads to Slip and Fall Accidents?
There are many causes of slip and fall accidents, including:
- Slippery weather: New Jersey can get pretty harsh winters. Winter weather can bring a lot of snowfall and slippery, icy conditions.
- Wet floors: People spend more time in stores and restaurants during the holiday and winter season. People can track in snow, which makes the floors wet and slippery.
- Loose floorboards: The holiday season can be very busy for store owners, which may lead to building neglect. Loose floorboards or carpets can pose a risk for falls.
- Loose wires or decorations: Many households compete with their neighbors to put on the best light show. Slip and falls are always a possibility when decorating during the season.
As you can see, slip and falls are especially common during the holidays. In fact, it’s one of the most common reasons for visiting the emergency room throughout the holiday season.
Tips to Avoid a Slip and Fall Accident This Holiday Season
You don’t have to skip your favorite shopping trips or stay indoors when the weather gets cold to avoid a slip and fall accident. Instead, follow these safety tips:
- Invest in a good pair of winter boots
- Check for wet floors before walking
- Look where you’re going, especially when visiting new shops
- Make sure household roofs and walkways are free of debris
- Clean up spills as they happen at parties
- Avoid decorating the roof, especially during cold weather
- Securely fasten all extension cords
- Make sure you have someone with you at all times when decorating
These are just a few tips that you can use when going about your holiday season to stay safe and avoid slip and fall accidents. Recognizing the most common risks of slip and fall accidents is a good start.
Who’s Responsible When a Slip and Fall Accident Occurs?
One of the first questions you may have as you begin to deal with a slip and fall accident is who is responsible? If you have costly medical bills and have to take time off from work, it may be important to your case to find out who’s to blame. If you believe that your slip and fall accident occurred from someone’s negligence, it may be worth it to reach out to a lawyer.
If you’re not sure who’s responsible, discussing your case with a lawyer may also be worth your time. Filing a slip and fall lawsuit can help you recover the costs that you may need to recover.
Contact a Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Slip and Fall Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a slip and fall in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at The Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represent clients injured because of a slip and fall in Atlantic City, Hamilton, Galloway Township, Pleasantville, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.