Should I Call My Insurance Company After a Minor Accident?

Should I call my insurance company after a minor accident? It’s a question we’re often asked by our clients – and the answer is yes: you do.

Read more: Top 4 Questions Our Firm Gets Asked About Car Accidents

Why You Need to Call Your Insurance Company Immediately

The first thing to do following a car accident, even a minor one, is to evaluate the wellbeing of everyone involved. Even if you don’t need immediate medical attention, it may be useful to schedule a follow-up visit with your medical provider.

If another driver was in the accident, you should report it and notify your insurance company as soon as possible. An official police report may be required to file an insurance claim. It is possible that you may notice delayed injuries following the accident, like whiplash. You also may not immediately notice minor dents or scratches to your vehicle in the middle of the hectic situation.

Some drivers may also undervalue the extent of the damage to their car, only to take it to a body shop and find that the repairs are actually costlier. Another risk that you avoid by notifying your insurance company is if the other driver files a claim. Even if they tell you it is okay at the scene of the accident, they may decide to file a claim later. Without notifying your insurance company, you may be left to pay out of pocket.

Read more: Determining Fault After a New Jersey Car Accident

What is a Minor Car Accident?

It is not always easy to determine the difference between a minor and a major car accident, especially when at the scene of the accident. Obviously, a major car accident includes severe injuries and a totaled car. But a minor car accident can also include significant damage that may appear to be minimal on the exterior, but is actually major, because of the damage to its structure.

A minor car accident involves:

  • No serious injuries
  • Minor bumps or scratches on the vehicle
  • Minimal damage to the vehicle’s bumpers
  • A flat or blown tire

Most insurance providers require that you notify them of any damage to your vehicle, including from a minor accident. This could also include a single-vehicle car accident, in which you collide with a tree, pole or rock.

Read more: What Kinds of Evidence Do I Need in My Car Accident Case?

When to Consult With a Personal Injury Lawyer

Most minor car accidents don’t require legal representation. However, if your damages are greater than expected or your medical condition worsens, you may need to consult with a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help you evaluate the details of your case, determining who is at fault and helping you collect the compensation that you need to recover.

A lawyer can also be useful if another driver places the blame on you and comes after you for compensation. They can help you determine the details of the accident and identify what steps to take next.

Contact a Hamilton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represent clients injured because of car accidents in Atlantic City, Hamilton, Ventnor City, Hammonton, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.