What Happens if You Slip and Fall on Private Property?

Those who injure themselves at a private residence may feel that suing the owner of a private property may seem difficult. They often wonder whether or not they have a case. In most situations, if a person is injured on a private residence, a lawsuit can be filed against a homeowner’s insurance policy as the policy will often have an amount allocated for such events. However, it can also be possible to sue a homeowner directly for damages related to injuries sustained in a slip and fall.

Determining the liability a homeowner has for injuries related to a slip and fall accident can be tricky. Major points in determining liability lie in whether or not the slip and fall accident could have been avoided by simply paying attention to one’s surroundings: for example, tripping over fixed furniture. Liability is often considered if the the slip and fall was caused by something created by their negligence. Uneven flooring, faulty handrails on stairs, loose carpeting, or a spill caused by the owner of the private property are often considered an avoidable liability.

Preparing a lawsuit begins as early as when the accident occurs. After a slip and fall accident, it is important to make note of as many details as possible. The homeowner’s insurance information, contact information for witnesses at the scene, and any and all medical invoices related to the accident should all be retained to further establish a solid case.

If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident on another person’s property, is is important to seek legal counsel that could help recover damages. Contact the law offices of Richard A. Stoloff today to schedule your case consultation. You may be eligible for compensation for medical expenses.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.