What Kinds of Evidence Do I Need in My Car Accident Case?

After a car accident, you’re going to have a lot of questions. One of the most commonly asked questions is what kind of evidence you’ll need in order to move forward with your claim. It’s important to collect as much information as you can about when and where the accident happened because the more information you have, the easier it will be to prove fault and collect a settlement in your favor. Below, we take a look at the different types of evidence you’ll need and how a skilled injury attorney can help you collect it.

Collecting Evidence from the Scene of the Accident

After a car crash, the first thing to do is check on the safety of everyone involved. If no one is in need of emergency assistance, there are several pieces of evidence that are important while you’re waiting for law enforcement to arrive. These include:

  • The license plate of all drivers involved
  • The name, address and phone numbers of all drivers involved
  • Each driver’s insurance information
  • Photos of the crash and location site, including any notable skid marks or traffic signals
  • Statements from witnesses, if available

It’s also important to find out whether or not any of the drivers involved were driving for their employer at the time of the accident. This information will be helpful when it comes to moving forward with your claim. If a driver was on the clock when the accident occurred, be sure to collect their employer’s name and phone number.

Keep a Record of Damages

Even if you feel fine moments after the accident, it’s still important to seek medical attention after being involved in a crash. This is because certain conditions like a concussion, for example, can take time to develop. So while you may feel fine, that doesn’t necessarily mean you are. Doctor visits and any diagnostic tests such as x-rays or MRIs are considered to be pieces of evidence. If you are diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury or any other type of injury that requires diagnostic treatment, medical follow-ups and ongoing care, it’s important to hold on to all of these medical records. These medical records show a record of the damages you’ve sustained as a result of the accident. In addition to medical records, other records of damages include pay stubs and any other information you have pertaining to missed time off work, as well as co-pays and receipts for property damage and any other bill that may have been accrued as a result of the ancient.

Burden of Proof

It is up to the plaintiff – the person moving forward with the injury claim – to prove that the other driver (the defendant) was at-fault for the accident. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to help you ensure that you this burden of proof is met. At the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff, we don’t believe that you should have to shoulder the burden of someone else’s negligent actions. If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident that was caused by a reckless, drunk or distracted driver, our lawyers are here to help. Schedule a consultation today: 609-957-6810.

Contact an Atlantic City Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in the state of New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at the Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represents clients injured because of a car accident in Atlantic City, Hamilton, Hammonton, Ventnor City, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.