Car Accident Injuries That Usually Require Physical Therapy

Physical therapy is an often-overlooked cost of being in a car accident. While immediate medical care is likely, many injuries sustained in a car accident may also require rehabilitative care.

Car Accident Injuries That Often Require Physical Therapy

These car accident injuries often lead to physical therapy:


Whiplash occurs when the neck is suddenly forced forward, leading to pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders. Because of the sudden impact that is common with car accidents, whiplash is one of the most common injuries. Physical therapy may be necessary to heal and strengthen the muscles and tendons of the neck and spine.


Dislocations are also common in car accidents, especially of the shoulders or fingers. A dislocated bone or joint can be painful and may require a brace to keep it in place until it fully heals. Once the brace comes off, physical therapy may be necessary to strengthen the surrounding muscles and ligaments to prevent further injury.

Broken Bones

Broken bones aren’t uncommon in car accidents. The driver and passengers may suffer broken arms or legs. The initial treatment for a broken bone is to set the bone with a cast. Once the cast comes off, the physician will likely order physical therapy to help with the range of motion and to strengthen the surrounding muscles.

Back and Neck Injuries

Back and neck injuries are also very common in car accidents. These types of injuries are not only hard to identify but can also take longer than other injuries to heal. Physical therapy is one of the most common treatment plans for back and neck injuries following a car accident. The physical therapist may work with the patient on strengthening surrounding muscles to better support the others while they heal.

How To Know If You Need Physical Therapy After a Car Accident

One of the first, and most important, things to do after a car accident is to receive medical treatment. If you feel fine, it’s still usually a good idea to seek a medical evaluation. During your medical evaluation, the physician will look for any symptoms of life-threatening injuries. They’ll also review any symptoms you have and identify whiplash, broken bones, or other injuries.

Once they determine your injuries, they’ll create a treatment plan. Treatment plans may include surgery, medications, rest, or physical therapy.

Who Pays for Physical Therapy Following a Car Accident?

Physical therapy can be expensive, so it’s understandable that you might question who covers the costs. If someone else is responsible for the car accident, and your injuries, they may also be responsible for your physical therapy costs. Filing a personal injury lawsuit can help you recover some of the costs of a car accident, including physical therapy.

Car insurance may cover some medical costs related to a car accident, but the amount is usually limited. Car accident injuries that require more medical care and long-term treatments, like physical therapy, tend to cost more. This means that a car insurance policy may not cover the full cost of your medical needs.

Contact an Atlantic City Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at The Law Offices of Richard A. Stoloff represent clients injured because of a car accident in Egg Harbor, Atlantic City, Galloway Township, Hamilton, and throughout New Jersey. Call (609) 601-2233 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 605 New Road, Linwood, NJ 08221, as well as an office in Philadelphia, PA.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.